Citizenship Program & Benefits
Since the global financial crisis of 2008, the Maltese government has put a lot of effort into attracting foreign investments. One way they’ve done this is through the introduction of the Malta Individual Investor Program (IIP). The program has been successful due to the country’s political stability, strategic location within the heart of Europe, and an increased global need for a second citizenship by nationals of developing countries.
The Malta Individual Investor Program (IIP) was based on Legal Notice 47 of 2014, which allows individuals, along with their families, to acquire citizenship by a certificate of naturalization after making a significant contribution to the economic and social development of Malta.
A Certificate of Naturalization is issued following a thorough due diligence check and after meeting all the financial and residential requirements. To issue a naturalization certificate, the Maltese government requires the applicant to provide proof of 12 months’ residency in Malta. This includes criteria such as a permanent residence in Malta, regular visits to the country, utility bills, memberships, etc.
The whole process takes approximately 14-24 months to complete.
- European citizenship and passport can be acquired in less than 2 years
- Visa-free travel to more than 160 countries, including Schengen, UK, USA, and Canada
- Right to live, work, and study anywhere in Europe
- An English-speaking business environment
- Unmarried dependent children up to 26 years of age can be included on the same application
- Citizenship is granted for life and is irrevocable
- No tax on foreign income for non-residents
- Dual citizenship is allowed in Malta